Creative, Aggressive, Effective
Hartmann Doherty is a litigation-driven law firm. Our litigators come from the country’s largest law firms and we regularly handle cases with and against those firms. We bring the skill, sophistication, and trial experience of our larger competitors to a wide range of litigations, including mid-size commercial litigations, which require both an aggressive litigation strategy and a business-focused approach.
We represent corporate clients, large and small, in New York and New Jersey, in a range of complex commercial disputes, including breach of contract and breaches of fiduciary duties, business torts, employment matters, consumer class actions, and insurance coverage disputes. We also represent clients in the types of disputes that often arise among owners of closely held businesses, including partnership disputes, corporate deadlocks, shareholder oppression, business divorce, and dissolution. Our recent representations include:
- Defending founder of a commodities trading company in a $20 million action for breach of a buyout agreement.
- Defending part-owner of a family-owned shipping company in a shareholder dispute.
- Defending a university professor in a $150 million dispute over ownership of intellectual property.
- Representing a former hedge fund portfolio manager in an action for payment of $3 million in deferred compensation.
- Representing a national auto parts supplier in a contract dispute against a leading regional distributor.
- Defending a supplier of specialty plastic components in a multi-million dollar breach of contract action.
- Defending a foreign bank in an action for payment under a letter of credit governed by the International Chamber of Commerce’s Uniform Customs and Practice for Documentary Credits.